Sunday, February 6, 2005

Our Surprise Arrivals

Superbowl Sunday, Mike had made plans to put together the cribs for the nursery. Our friend Rob Meusel and his little boy, Cole, came over to help. I had made big plans to watch a DVD. I was surprised when Rob's wife Laura stopped by with her 2 and 1/2 year old Caitlin to say hello.
At 1pm, the first crib was assembled and we decided to order hamburgers and give the boys a break before they started crib number 2. Laura and I were about to phone in our order when my water broke.
Since I was only 28 weeks, I didn't have a bag packed for the hospital, hadn't finished my hospital admissions forms, and Mike and I hadn't even finished picking names for the babies. Thank goodness Laura was here to help! She and Mike calmed me down, called my doctor, packed me a bag and rushed me off to the hospital while Rob finished assembling the other crib and took care of the kids.
On the drive to the hospital, my contractions started, and by 2 pm they were 10 minutes apart. Because I was so early, the doctor wanted to try and stop labor. For the next 3 hours Mike and Laura and my mom all helped me through a series of hard contractions without any pain medication as the doctors and nurses tried to stop my labor, but the babies had decided they were coming and soon.
Around 7pm, as the nurses prepared to take me to the delivery room near the NICU, Baby A flipped and started breech down the birth canal. The doctors called for an emergency c-section and told the nurses they had 10 minutes to get me into surgery! 20 minutes later our baby girls had arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Lydia and Teagan Ahrens